Thursday, August 19, 2010

Getting ready to jump back in!

Well here I am one month out, most of the camping supplies are gathered for my 10 day camping/working/classwork trip. We are meeting for 2.5 days in advance of our excursion to Mount Rainier. Needless to say after 30 years of not attending school I am both excited and nervous.
The program I chose at Evergreen State in the Environmental Science department is "Mt. Rainier, it's place and it's people". I love the out of doors, love to camp, haven't camped since the early 90's, got new gear, gained 5 pounds, will the new gear fit, am I making the right choice now in my life and hundreds more questions speed through my mind at any given moment.

I still need to complete a questionnaire, procure art supplies for my field journal ( I love to draw) and just a few more items for my pack, then practice packing the pack. We will be sleeping in two person tents, no electricity, showers every few days, cook our own food, and have the opportunity to work on various projects with the local people and the parks department. Additional classwork/lectures will be held at night and I would imagine reading...lots of reading.

Well I'm off to gather up more stuff and my courage to power on! check in with you later!

2 comments:

  1. I have two words for you: "water" and "proof."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's never enough warm dry socks on the planet. In 10 years you have the option of saying ,"I was always going to do that", or "I wish I could do that", or "I would love to do that" and finally "I did that".

    ReplyDelete