Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Book lists

I've realized there are many types of book lists. The obvious one for this site, my school book list which most are ordered for the winter quarter. The list your parents would love you to read and you probably won't. The list of books your friends read and you would like to read them because your friends are smart and funny and you respect them; some of these books you will read and some you won't. Many lists come from helpful websites self or not, and as much as I would like to read these even if I purchase them, most I do not. My favorite book list is the one that is not made, not given, not assigned, not "should have"'d, nor suggested. It is one that is spontaneous and sometimes startling, where a title falls on your shoulder or better yet your head from a shelf far above, a book that you keep coming back to and unconsciously are drawn even though you are looking for a gift for a friend. This list is not written, shared, suggested or drawn out. The most thought provoking and luminous darkly written books that are keys to unlocked places inside you have always wanted to know or to be made know...I love these books, they are gifts and joys and prods to your inner being. Revelations of those things which cannot be spoken or taught or learned... synchronous books like a glance out of the corner of your eye, did I just see that or hear that? Books that I want to read right after I finish them. Some of these books are in my library and some I suggest to friends of which they may or may not read. As it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment